View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2006
Novicius

clampak is flying high

So, most of what I suggested before has gotten implemented, which is GREAT! Thanks so much, it makes Phex that much more useful and easier to work with.

Of course, I do have some other suggestions below... The ones with ** were asked for before, but not implemented and still would be great to have.

ALL tabs: Keep highlighted selection highlighted, and focused in window. E.g., in DOWNLOAD tab, I highlight one or more files, and then sort the list by [any]; currently highlight disappears, all selections should stay highlighted, and also focused in the window, unless the selections span multiple pages [up or down].

General: Ability to change font size and colors, especially for queued files. The current green is a nice color, but too light [sometimes I can't see it if my screen is tilted just slightly back].

SEARCH tab: Need ability to continuously search, or to specify amount of time to search. Current default is much too short. Also to re-search once a new Ultrapeer is connected to.

**DOWNLOAD tab: Need ability to specify, simultaneously for multiple files, 'retry candidate(s)' and 'search'. Perhaps 'retry all candidates' and 'search for all files' buttons. Even better, a default to automatically re-search for files every N minutes which have fewer than X candidates.

DOWNLOAD tab: ability to search for files, much like the fabulous filter mechanism in the SEARCH tab. I have a few hundred files in my queue at any one time, and often find that I have already downloaded a particular version [or close enough] of a file; it'd be nice to be able to find the other versions without paging down a dozen times or more.

SEARCH tab: ability to ignore certain files; for instance, after downloading one version of a file, I want to be able to mark all versions of that file to ignore them. This would be best in the right click menu. Also, along with this, the ability to not just lighten the font of the previously downloaded files, but hide them from the list altogether. Both of these should be options, not defaults.

Other: ability to 'pause [and resume, obviously] ALL downloads' at once. For dialup users, this would be a great thing because sometimes we need to do that to check email, do webbrowsing for a few minutes, etc. Doing these things while downloading is extremely time-consuming, which, for dialup, is saying a LOT.

I like the idea of limiting searches to specific countries, or regions. Since Phex can show the flag of the country I'm connected to, could it then also limit the results to whatever region I specify, or filter out results from one or more particular countries/regions. This could be potentially be implemented in the 'disconnect policy' in the Settings.

**SEARCH tab: ability to filter strings using regular expressions. Currently only able to filter out strings with no whitespace.

Odd bits:
SEARCH tab: does not [and should] stay sorted when switching between searches.
Dragging & dropping in Windows Explorer causes Phex to blink off and on.

And I'd certainly be a willing tester for new versions and such, help out however I can if necessary.