View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2006
Apprentice

AntR is flying high
Default Newbie/Slightly Dozy PC User Help - Download Speed Slow!?

Guys/Gals hi,

Was hoping someone could give me some help and/or pointers on a download speed issue I'm having with Limewire (I've checked all the FAQ etc already by the way).

I recently updated from 4.10 to 4.12. This was about the same time as I moved house and we had all sorts of problems getting the Broadband account shifted/reconnected.

Anyways, with 4.10 I was getting speeds of around 50-80kb/s for songs and roughly 25-50kb/s for movies (all legit of course). Clearly that's a pretty crappy speed at any rate but I live in Thailand where "Broadband" means 'Broadband'

Initially I put it down to the problems we had in getting the whole set-up moved. However I've been monitoring the adslthailand.com site and checking connection speed (I'm on a 512/1012 up/down package) and that has been consistently showing around the 850kbps mark - the same as it was before we moved. Now however - even with the 'newer and faster' Limewire - I'm getting between 1-3kb/s even for a song!?! There's no missed digit in there, that's 1 to 3kb/s

So any ideas? My PC is pretty average spec but is also new (this is where the clueless PC user part comes in) and the only other thing that has been changed is the router/modem - this was a wireless set-up at first but when we moved they claimed to be out-of-stock (old one was left at old house) and they gave us a 'temporary' replacement standard type broadband router for the time being.

Would appreciate any help/tips/info/pointers anyone can give. Cheers.