View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2006
Novicius

Uriah Heep is flying high
Default Uploads failing in ultra peer mode

Hi all

I'm on a 8Mbit ADSL line, giving me 768Kbit uploads. GTKG is running as an ultra peer, but all uploads appear to fail. While looking at the uploads page, I'll see a request for a file, with the range typically 128KiB but often the full size of the file. The progress bar appears but remains at 0%. After around 10 seconds, the upload entry disappears, progress still at 0%. If I clear the "Auto clear failed uploads" box then the uploads pane quickly fills up with failed entries. I've been through the Preferences several times and tried tweaking things but with no difference. In leaf mode, uploads worked.

System details:

0.96.1 stable installed via portage on Gentoo (kernel 2.4.32)
GNOME 2.14.2 with GTK+2
Machine is a SPARC Ultra 60 with 2 x 450MHz CPUs
512Mb RAM

The main share is mounted via NFS and is 10470 files in 45.31 GiB. Uploads preferences page says the last library scan was initiated at 18:41 on 14 Sep and took 5 mnutes. However, the status icons at the top right say that GTK is computing SHA1 of shared files in the background, and another icon says the average CPU usage indicates overloading and SHA1 computation has been suspended. Top(1) show GTK using around 30% to 60% CPU.

If I manually switch to leaf mode, uploads begin working immediately and the CPU usage warning icon goes away. Is the machine just not man enough to be an ultra peer?

-UH