View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Music Today

Sleepless

I take it that you are a fairly young man living at home with his parents and, as such, will not know about the good music from previous decades that the article is talking about.

Well, I am old enough to remember the 60's (and the following decades) but not nostalgic enough to romanticise that only good music was produced back then. All decades have had their share of rubbish (mass produced nonsense) made only to make quick sales to the masses and money for the record companies. And guess what, the masses seem to like them, not because the music is any good, but because some of them simply went to No.1 in the UK charts. For example, The Birdy Song, Shadup You Face, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Hey Macarena, plus others I am too ashamed to remember or have blocked from my conscious thought.

I can bet you that all the people that made these (awful) songs No.1 are now too ashamed to admit that they ever bought them.

I can tell you one thing about music and the human condition, when the majority of us get older, we tend to forget the awful amount of rubbish we listened to when we were younger and only remember the good stuff. And then we go on to fool ourselves that only good stuff was made back then and that today's music is all rubbish.

This I used to hear from my parents and now I am hearing this from my friends, which I then have to remind that we were deluged with rubbish music as well.

Simply put, good music will always be remembered while rubbish, though now selling by the truck load, will soon be forgotten.

UK Bob