View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2006
Devotee

tom_in_toronto is flying high
Exclamation Assistive urls for the user

I posted a question about a specific piece of software in the forum. While those who chose to respond were very patient with me ( I didn't explain myself very well) the ideas submitted showed a need that I think should be filled. I wanted to know if anybody knew of a .wma audio editor. Nobody did. But several very good suggestions were submitted.

New users of Lime Wire (and regular users of Lime Wire) occasionally ask about software to perform a specific function. What I propose, and would like to see, is a dedicated thread that would offer assistance to users. Instead of answering the same question over and over the user could be reffered to a collection of url's describing pieces of software that perform specific functions on mp3 files. I am aware that other sites offer what I suggest, but this collection would be exclusive to Lime Wire. I have been a member of WinMx, Ares, Shareaza, and KCeasy. And none of them had a collection of url's leading to software that could assist the user. The user had to ask their question and hope for the best. If Lime Wire had a collection of urls that would assist the user they could very well be the only file sharing program that offered links to users to software to make their audio collections something they could be proud of. And users would have Lime Wire to thank for leads to the elusive software. This collection of urls could, (or should) eliminate repetitive posts asking about software users might want to use.

None of the software would cost anything, be crippled in any way, or contain spyware etc. It would be tested before was it was posted.

My idea was to have a dedicated thread to which we all could contribute (if we wanted to) that would address specific areas of mp3 files. Sort of like this...

MP3 TAGS
http://www.mp3tag.de
Allows you to re-write mp3 tag, delete information you do not want, or add information you do want.

Controling the volume of mp3 file
mp3gain.sourceforge.net
For controlling or altering the gain (volume) of mp3 sound file.

Gnutella and Lime Wire does not endorse these applications in any way. They are mentioned simply as an aid that may be of use to you.

We could put apps under specific catagories, and provide the URL to the app.
I propose that this experiment be limited to the Windows operating system only. If somebody wants to duplicate this thread for a different OS (MAC, Linux, etc) thats fine with me, but I would like to see this as an experiment first. If it flourishes (and I hope it will) it will be a real boost to users of LW.

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; September 29th, 2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: double post