View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2006
Devotee

tom_in_toronto is flying high

Quote:
Tom double posted his idea.

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...879#post231879

UK Bob
While UK Bob is correct I originally posted it in the wrong area. It was a mistake and an error on my part. I wasn't wearing my bifocals at the time.

Only A Hobo wrote ...
Quote:
Firstly, the majority of questions asked on these forums have been asked before. The problem is that many forum visitors fail to use the search feature, fail to read the stickies, fail to read the User guide, fail to realize that Google is their friend, and in short bypass all these useful items in favour of asking a question on the forums which some kind soul will answer
I suspected sombody might say this. This is an attempt to stop the same question from being asked over and over. It's been my experience from over twenty years of teaching how to use computers and the internet that the majority of users who, for one reason or another, fail to search engines, stickies, User guides, etc., fail to use them because they are intimidated by something. A new user may avoid stickies simply because of the name. Somebody in this forum (the entire Lime Wire forum) was reluctant to ask what is a url. They probably thought is was a dumb question. I have seen two definitions for it, so it's not a dumb question.

If somebody sees a large collection of people who know more about a particular subject they will be very reluctant to ever ask a question. In newgroups this behavior is called lurking. A lot of newsgroups advocate lurking before asking a question. And because of some of the people already in NG's thats all a lot of people do - lurk.

I would like to see a forum where anybody can ask any question without fear of some ill mannered hot head responding.

Only A Hobo went on...
[QUOTE] Each forum member who might help will have a different idea of what they consider the best tool for the job. /QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Instead of having one or two software suggestions that would perform a specific function this library of urls could have ten suggestions per catagory. Instead of having a tool that does only part of the job the user might be presented with ten possible solutions.

Quote:
A mac section and a Windows section would be required .... and so on
I'm well aware of that. When I suggested this idea of a library of urls I also suggested making it an experiment, and making for Windows only. I want to see how many people would actually use it. If only a handful of people use it over the course of a month I would suggest it be discontinued and removed from the forum. If however (and it's a very large if) it's a roaring success than it's existence will be justified.

I'm simply proposing taking technology and making it more people friendly. When I was earning my MBA I had a professor who used to drone on, and make a very simple question sound very complicated. Many a student, including myself, said "Why did the old buzzard give us the answer in plain simple english". Thats all I'm proposing. Taking something thats sounds complicated as he** and putting the answer in plain simple english. And helping a user by providing a tool can help a great deal towards that end.

Sorry for being rather long winded.