View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2006
Novicius

mattmatt321 is flying high
Default Downloaded Virus need help

I downloaded a virus from LimeWire the other day and my computer has had major problems ever since.

First I had about 200-300 files on LimeWire and now I have 2,175. I don't know where these came from and they aren't in my "Shared" Folder. I even tried to find them manually but they are hidden and I can't get to them.

Second, my Task Manager won't come up. "taskmgr.exe" and "regeid.exe" won't run at all. When I try to run Task Manager an error comes up that says, "Another program is using this file" so it won't run.

Third, after this virus started affecting my computer, LimeWire started on its own, meaning I would close the application but it would start right back up again a minute later. When I rebooted (7 times I estimate), LimeWire kept on starting itself up despite the fact that its not in my Startup folder nor does it normally start up with every boot.

Apparently this problem is common these days and I was wondering if anyone can help me get rid of it? I actually ran:

*McAfee Anti-Virus
*Windows Live Beta
*AOL Spyware Protection
*Ad-Aware
*AOL PC Optimizer

They all found 2-3 "threats" or viruses but none of them helped my problem. Anyone know what to do when this happens?

By the way I uninstalled LimeWire immediately after the problem started. Thanks for your help!!