Thread: Hiding searches
View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2006
flame-retardant

Hyper-kun is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Ok, but hiding active searches is rather "dangerous" because those could easily be forgotten. A search isn't free, it uses resources of the network which won't be available for others then. That's also why this expiry was added. Some comfort is necessary i.e., Gnutella isn't Google, searching doesn't work the same but there must be some limits. "Expires with this session" was more or less meant to preserve the status quo except that searches are not restarted automatically. The other choices would restart the search but then limit it in time as a trade-off. Honestly, I think it's probably mandatory to adjust the reissue interval to the expiry. In the case of a session expiry, it might be better to use a exponential back-off that wraps around because emitting a search once per hour *for months* really makes me feel uncomfortable.

Anyway, regarding your actual question, hiding is not the right thing but a different presentation of the searches might provide a better overview. For what it's worth, you can sort the searches by name, number of results and number of new results. Sorting by the 2nd or 3rd would keep the interesting ones on top.