Thread: Suspicious File
View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2006
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

firstly..I seriously advise installing and running PG2 when using any p2p app that uses a public network like gnutella..and also using a firewall and AV scanner that runs in the background..with those ground rules covered, proceed to using your p2p app....

in BS, there is the upper toolbar similar to all windoze applications...

you will see file, edit, view, SETUP, window, favorites, help on top

choose setup, and any of the given options...that will open up the setup menu, with its own little screen...

once there, start configuring your client for your use...

filling the the connection specs is not really necessary, but I do so for giggles anyways...

I have a high speed cable connection and I set the Network Interface to Broadband, and the Bandwidth Capacity to asymetric, 400Kbps (~45KB/s) out and 10000 Kbps (~1.2MB/s) in..I leave the port at default as I have no issues with my ISP blocking the default port...

the Downloads option is important to set up so that you get full use of your connection...I have mine set as follows: I get up to 50 files at one time (could probably go higher), with 50 sources per file (again, could probably go higher) with 999 connections total (maxed out)..the setting of your temp directory and downloads folder is of course personal preferance....

the Service option is where you will be able to force UltraPeer mode...this for me indeed increases my search horizon and # of results...

all other settings are typical of most p2p apps, and since you are a veteran of LW, should present no problems...

as a note, the choice of 'show file icons' does suck a bit of system resources to do so, but I think your system should deal with that nicely...

Last edited by Peerless; October 24th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.