View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2006
Apprentice

blondeMatrix is flying high
Exclamation "Fake file" issue now serious

Hi all. I've been a paid user of LimeWire Pro for a number of years now, and I believe this current "fake file" attack is the most serious threat LimeWire has faced. And no, it's not just infecting search results associated with modern or common music.

I'm speculating that the music industry is fighting back in an attempt to quash the sharing of copyrighted material, and in particular music. This is perfectly understandable on their part. They are simply protecting their interests.

A typical response within this forum is a posted link to a page containing suggestions on altering one's search criteria, etc. In my experience these suggestions are largely ineffective. Moreover, I assume LimeWire is continuing to accept money from LimeWire Pro users.

LimeWire could restore confidence in their product by providing an assurance that the development team is working to combat this problem. Of course they must tread carefully, so as not to break copyright law. But surely developing a mechanism to automatically identify and eliminate from search results all peers bulk injecting bogus files into the Gnutella network is a perfectly legal exercise. Countering technical vandalism. Am I right?

LimeWire... are you preparing to battle, or have you lost the war?