View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2006
Apprentice

kitty4kat is flying high
Default US Thanksgiving

As an American, I guess I've taken the whole "Thanksgiving" holiday for granted. We learn about the Pilgrims & the discovery of America in grade school & go on in life to continue the yearly traditional celebration. I'm ashamed to say that I usually don't give too much thought to the real reason behind the holiday each year as I get ready for it. The day is a day that is planned for well in advance. The menus are decided, grocery lists are made, family members decide who will bring which side dishes... It is a time for food, family & fun. It is a time to be thankful for all that we have.

Reading this post really got me to thinking. How to explain Thanksgiving Day to someone not America born? So I cheated & got a little help with it. Following is a formal explanation of our American Thankgiving Day.

The true meaning of “Thanksgiving,” and its involvement with the very foundation of our Nation can be readily gleaned from the Proclamations establishing it and history itself. One of the “First Thanksgiving Proclamations,” issued in 1676, by the Governing Council of Charlestown, Massachusetts proclaimed, “a day of Solemn Thanksgiving and praise to God for such his Goodness and Favor.”

Hope that gives you a little understanding of this special day.