View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2002
Unregistered

Default MusicCity Morpheus 2.0 using Limewire Technology

This is just a rumor and I don't know if it is actually true. It's just something I've heard and I can't back it up.

MusicCity Morpheus 2.0 will use the open source Limewire 2.X core. Limewire's code has been under the GPL for quite some time, and anyone who wants to can use it.

This will alow Morpheus 2.0 to fully participate in Gnet. And they might even drop FastTrack all together.

The reason is that they see Fast Track, a closed protocol, as being a dead end. And they want to use a protocol which is not controlled by anyone. The FastTrack technology is controlled by the company that now owns Kazza.

Using an open protocol also reduces the threat of a lawsuit since if they get shued and shut down, there will always be other clients that use the network.

Another thing which got me to believe this even more is something I read at the GDF:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_gdf/message/4923
"Apparently, their CTO has been looking at the LimeWire source since we put
it online.
We would encourage them to join in the Gnutella open protocol rather than
the closed FastTrack protocol. That was part of the reason for our going
open source - To provide a better alternative than FastTrack and to grow
Gnutella in any way possible." Greg Bildson

The only problem with this rumor is that Limewire is open source under the GPL, and this means that Morpheus 2.0 will also have to open source if they include code from Limewire. Also, Limewire is written in Java, which makes it very slow, and this is the main reason why many people don't like it.

However, maybe they are rewriting the Graphical User Interface in a fast language like c++, and then using some wrapping or inter-process communication technique to work with the Java core.