View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Nigel

You are obviously a programmer while I am not but I do have a nagging feeling that "scheduling" is not going to be as easy as you indicate, note that I am not questioning the coding aspects but the practicalities of it.

As I said in my first post:
Quote:
PC users can switch their computers off and on when they like, how can you schedule downloads?
Your reply sounds OK
Quote:
Limewire can detect identical files, the fields that make the file identifiable and unique could be re-searched at a later time, and Limewire could kick off the download as soon as a candidate was found.
This, I think, will mean that I must keep my PC on 24 hours a day in order to catch those elusive downloads I am after, which is great but I still don't see how "scheduling" here would work.

Also, how is “scheduling” practically different from the current situation now, i.e. on starting up LW the incomplete files automatically start searching for hosts to download from?

To conclude, coding “scheduling” into LW is probably easy, and I will not argue about that, but at this point I cannot see a practical application for it.

However, if your coding was incorporated into the way incomplete files looked for hosts (to download from) then we would have more hits and less of those "Need more sources" or "Awaiting Hosts" errors.

UK Bob