View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2006
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Hacking for Dollars

Hi Newbee2

Yes, I agree "Welcome to Windows" indeed.

You know, a few weeks ago I was using LW and downloading a film clip, I waited until 10% of this clip was on my PC then I tried to preview it. Suddenly, my Norton Firewall warned me about an unauthorised cookie was trying to access my PC, my PG2 started to blink indicating that it had blocked an IP address (probably a bot), again, trying to gain access and finally something tried to open my IE6 browser failed and then tried again, also failing in it's second attemped.

In all my years of using and working on PCs this is the first time any thing like this had happened, i.e. a combination attack that bounced passed the inbuilt firewall in my modem/router, got stopped by NPF, got stopped again by PG2 but got enough of itself through to try and attack (or "jack") my IE browser.

After I realised what was happening, which was 10 or so seconds after the attack had started, I deleted this partial film clip. It's obvious to me that the whole clip must have had embedded Trojans or worms in order to give control of my PC to someone on the outside (or trying to steal my ID).

Anyway, here is a link to an article that may help you to understand the threats you face when you go on the internet or P2P network.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2064825,00.asp

UK Bob