View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2002
Novicius

waltbru is flying high
Default Desired Features for Limewire

I run a LimeWire server 24/7 off a high-capacity DSL line. I don't do any downloading, instead, I use Limewire to publish educational lectures and radio programs, mostly of a historical or religious nature. I have permission to reproduce these file, and interest is high - about 1000 half-hour programs are uploaded each day. I paid for LW Pro to help the cause.

My desired feature is less anonymity. I'd like to be able to leave a system message, pointing users to my website, or some other way of contacting me. Many users will try chat sessions, but because the system is up 24/7 unattended, I rarely see the chat to respond.

It seems that LimeWire is set up to be as anonymous as possible, and that's fine. But it would be great (for those trading non-copyrighted material) to be able to make a connection with others they find through this system. FTP servers have a system greeting, and web servers have title bars. Some kind of system greeting, which could be left off for those wishing anonymity, would make people-to-people connections easier.