Old December 27th, 2006
Disciple

Misterfixit is flying high
Default Nice Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings
I'm not a linux user but you could try these suggestions:

1. Delete your LW prefs whilst LW is closed; should be found here ~/.limewire

2. Remove Java, reinstall using the "Offline" installer. Might be best to reboot after uninstalling.

3. Uninstall LW, & reinstall.
Essentially what you are recommending is a complete delete of Limewire and a start over again from the download. I took into consideration all the trouble I have had with Limewire running under Linux in the past few years and went one step further. I did a global delete of anything named Limewire or associated with Limewire. Then I went to work on Java. I saw from my processes that there were sometimes as many as 5 Java processes either running or waiting.

Granted that I have 4GB of RAM and close to a TB of storage, but the only Java processes which I run (that I know about) are Limewire, SETI and Easytag..

Anyway, I went ahead and did the same grep rm on anything java and then installed java and Limewire from the distribution sites. For some reason my LimeWire Pro subscription is not recognized so that money is flushed, but hopefully someone at Limewire managed to buy a few Lattes or something.

Next, after completely reinstalling java (first) and then Limewire, I ran limewire again.

As user dave:

./runLime.sh

Application executed and went as far as to display the Limewire logo and "loading some stuff".

Crash as before.

Is this maybe a 64-bit library issue? I am running an AMD64 MOBO ...

Cheers and thanks for the pointers,

Dave