View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2007
Enthusiast

ThePowerTool is flying high
Default Firewall Upgraded to FC4, Now Client Fails To Connect

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my firewall to FC4. Now my LimeWire client will not connect. It worked just fine before the upgrade. I'm running LimeWire 4.12.6 on Java 1.5.0_06.

I have all the typical symptoms:
. LimeWire tries to connect to hosts on the Gnutella network, but cannot achieve a connection.
. Connection quality remains at 1 bar indefinitely
. My computer is behind a firewall (little icon with brick wall)

First I tried port forwarding in all flavors. I looked in Tools:Options:Advanced under Firewall Configuration. Listen on Port was 7128 (I think this was correct, read on for details). Use UPnP selected. I port forwarded TCP and UDP for 7128 (as it says in the instructions and several forum posts).

Next I checked to see what ports were being used with
netstat -ln

I observed 7128 (both udp/tcp) and I also observed 6347. 6347 left me concerned because it was one port off 6346.

I tried restarting the LimeWire client and the firewall.

I then tried hitting "Restore Defaults" which changed the Listen on Port to 38201.

I tried port forwarding 38201 (yes, both tcp and UDP).

Then I tried port forwarding the 6347 (tcp/udp).

Then I tried port forwarding the 6346 (tcp/udp).

Then I remembered about selinux and the problems with that. I went into /etc/sysconfig/selinux and changed it from
selinux=enforcing
to
selinux=disabled

Then I rebooted and tried again.

Still no luck.

I then tried changing from Use UPnP to Manual Port Forward. No luck with that, either.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions?

My firewall is FC4 and set to "Medium." I'm very familiar with port forwarding as I run a number of servers that require support from the firewall (they're all fine).

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide that might be of value.

Thanks!