View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2007
Novicius

lucidardor is flying high

You guys keep making a big deal about people downloading software and how it's illegal and those people are stupid and deserve the virus because it's not legal. But you guys are admitting to downloading and sharing music files...THAT'S ALSO ILLEGAL! So do you not also deserve the viruses? You cannot justify people getting malicious software because they're downloading illegal stuff. The fact of the matter is, two wrongs don't make a right.

By the way, it is absolutely possible to attach malware and spyware to mp3s...or even create an executable file and change the extension to mp3. So my advice is to be very cautious even when downloading music. I highly recommend Clam virus scan. Clam seems to scan files even as they are downloading ...I recommend pausing a download after the file begins, then scanning with clam. If a virus is detected, cancel the download. This may not always work, but doesn't hurt to try. And I'd stay away from any videos and software...even if it's open source. Your best bet is to use sourceforge.net or something for software and (unless you're sharing unsigned music) use iTunes for music. I mean songs are only .99¢. You guys can't be that cheap...