View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2002
Unregistered

Thanks for your thorough research in this area. My biggest issue with this critique, however, is that it doesn't offer an alternative. Do you see other avenues for LimeWire to continue bringing in enough revenue to operate? I do sympathize with many of these issues, as does much of the LimeWire team. I just think it's difficult to imagine being in our shoes trying to create as high quality software as possible while maintaining a viable company.

Regarding the Cydoor/ClickTillUWin incident, I agree that we should have been more careful in determining what the software did. We trusted Cydoor as our partner, and we should not have done so. I do want to point out that most of the major file sharing applications made the same mistake, however. Why not just recognize that we made a mistake that was quickly corrected and leave it at that?

As far as Cydoor posing a security risk in its ability to run executables, this will only occur if they do, in fact, load malicious executables, which they have little to no incentive to do. Moreover, countless applications have a similar "security hole" in that any application can load and run an executable if it so chooses.