Thread: Firewall query
View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2007
Novicius

Iamemjay is flying high

What is described here is exactly the issue I have been trying to come to grips with too. I have been successfully downloading - albeit excruciatingly slowly! -using Limewire Pro but have never been able to get rid of the "behind a firewall" icon, despite closing every possible software obstruction down.

My understanding is that a firewall will block a connection completely, but this is not happening. I wonder though if it is somehow slowing my downloads. Any thoughts? Given the limited success I have had, should I just switch the icon off and try to ignore it?

(1. despite fo;;owing all the guides I have never been successful with bit-torrent downloads and suspect my modem/router will not support it.
2. I have tried to use Bearflix ptp and Morpheus - they will connect but apparently have the same firewall problem and won't download at all.)

Details:

XP SP2 (Firewall switched off or on makes no difference) - limewire is listed as an exception regardless.
Zone Alarm - Limewire automatically configured this on installation - on/off makes no difference
Broadband connection (cable) supposed to be 250K download, but the reality is much slower (usually 60-100k because of excessive distance from the exchange.
Single PC at home

Thanks