View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2007
Apprentice

aeava is flying high
Default Windos Vista and Limewire (and Mcafee)

Scenario:

I bought a new machine that came with Windows Vista Premium and Mcaffee preinstalled.

Installed Limewire and it wouldn't connect. Meanwhile, my internet connection was blocked while Limewire was running and even after I closed it, for about 5 more minutes. I tried all kinds of things: checked the router, used Windows Firewally, used Mcafee firewall, used none, etc. No solution!

So I uninstalled Mcaffee as suggested above and voilá: Limewire was download great!

But I wasn't satisfied with that answer, so I reinstalled Limewire, thinking that the order of installation made a difference: not so.

So then I started unistalling each part of the the Mcafee suite. First the Mcafee Firewall: uninstalled, restarted, tested; same thing.

Then the Mcafee Privacy Policy: uninstalled, restarted, tested; Limewire worked great (and bittorrent too!).

I haven't re-installed Mcafee Firewall yet. The bottom line is that I didn't want to uninstall Mcafee Anti-virus (for obvious reasons). As far as the firewall, I can use Vista's, I guess (but I'll try to reinstall Mcafee's). As far as Mcafee Privacy Policy is concerned, I don't care much for it, so there it goes.

I'm hoping that people that are going through don't have to uninstall the entire Mcafee suite, just the cause of the problem. Heck, I may even reinstall it and start working with the settings to see what happens --probably something with "buffer overflow" or the like...

my 2 cents.