View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2002
Novicius

kourou is flying high
Default How to get around your network admin's bandwidth caps

Easy. Buy your own bandwidth. I'm a little sick about hearing people on connections they do not pay for (work, university etc.) whine about their admin capping their download speed. Its even worse to wander around asking how to get round it. Your admin has a hard enough job as it is, without worrying about you circumventing his hard work.

Its being capped for a good reason - if it wasn't, people like you would bring the network to its knees with irresponsible down- and uploading (or even just large numbers of people being perfectly responsible). I know this bcause I have had to deal with it.

Let's face it - most of the internet is just not ready yet for unrestricted peer-to-peer networking, so we have to compromise for now, and make do with what we have.

In the UK we have some of the least affordable broadband in the world (or so we keep getting told) but looking at prices here, they are well within reach of nearly everybody who spends a lot of time on the net (because they have high phone bills already, or spend a fortune on unmetered modem access).

So instead of looking to someone else to solve your 'problem', solve it yourself. If necessary, get a job outside of school to help pay for your addiction. It might also teach you some life skills which will help you see your difficulties from the other person's point of view.

End rant.

Andy

Sorry - couldn't help it because I am frustrated at getting Limewire to work at all due to some bug which they can't be bothered to admit to. But then again I think I do have a point