View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2007
Novicius

thevale is flying high
Default Problem Connecting (Firewall & NTL Takeover)

Hi,

I've got a problem with Limewire. Basically it has been fine until last week sometime, when clicking on the Limewire icon told me I needed to download the new version (or something along those lines). So I downloaded the new version.

(Just quickly, as it may be of relevance, I did get an error message whilst doing this which said that some components did not download, this would need to be done manually. However, since then I have uninstalled and re-installed Limewire without a problem.)

However now when I click on the Icon, I get the green loading screen but then get an error message saying 'Limewire cannot connect, this may be down to a firewall'. I've attached a picture of this.

Now I've gone onto the windows firewall and Limewire is down as an exception. I've even turned the firewall off, tried to load Limewire and still get the same message. Now, as far as I'm aware, I don't have any other firewalls on this PC. Someone else has downloaded a few security programs recently (Ad-Aware, AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blast and Spybot) but I'm assuming they are not to blame.

Anyway.....

1. what OS version? (eg: Windows 98, XP,OSX, Vista) XP
2. What firewalls you have ? As above - Just Windows I think
3. How much ram ? 192
4. Hard Disk space available ? 24.2GB
5. Connection type (eg: dialup, broadband, cable, etc.) ? Broadband
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers ? NT Cable Modem - Sorry don't no any more than that
7. Where are you trying to connect from (house, appartment complex, school, student accomodation, work, etc.) ? House
8. What version,LimeWire & Java,Go to L/W's Help/About L/W, THIS show both LW & Java version.? Java - 5.0 Update 6. LW - BASIC v 4.12.11
9. Who is your ISP provider (Internet Service Provider) ? Well it was NTL but they have been taken over recently by Virgin
10. Do this test click here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ should say 'Your test worked!. What happens ? It works
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up. Not that I'm aware
12. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user.? I've used LW for quite a while
13. Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface ? Cannot get that far
14. Have you given full permisions for LimeWire to pass through your Firewall ? Yes
15. XP users, Please state XP firewall on or off.? Well it's on at the moment, but Limewire does not work if I take it off

I've read through the forum and cannot find anything that has worked. I've noticed that some ISPs block P2P. Like I've said above, I'm with NTL (Have been for a few years) but they have been taken over in the last month or so by Virgin, whose name I've seen in the list of ISPs that block P2P. Now, I'm going to be right p****d off if this is the reason because that wasn't what I signed up for. Although I'm 99.9% certain I've succesfully used LW (The older version I assume) since the takeover. But...We also have UTorrent on the PC and, although it's barely ever used, I've notice that none of the files download, causing me to give an inanimate computer monitor a shedload of abuse ! It's got me thinking it's something to do with Virgin...? If it was, is this the effect it would have on Limewire, OR would it actually load to the main screen but then find any search results?

Apologies if this topic seems like a duplicate of all the others on the forum but could not find a specific answer.

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

PS - This has to be the most appropriate smiley ever for this particular section of the forum. It's like someones filmed me over the last hour or so!
Attached Thumbnails
Problem Connecting (Firewall & NTL Takeover)-error.jpg