View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2007
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Sparky_05084

I'll answer a couple of your questions based on my own experience.

You asked:
Quote:
Is it possible for a virus or Trojan to attack a computer simply by previewing a file or clip of a movie? or maybe even an audio file? I've heard rumours they can
Yes you can be attacked, although this type of attack is rare.

Let me explain, a few months ago I was downloading a film clip, when I had downloaded 10% I decided, as usual, to preview the clip. Within 10 seconds I found that my PC was under attack,

This particular attack consisted of three parts but first it got through my modem/router with it's built in firewall.

a) Scan attack blocked by my Norton firewall
b) Auto-bot attack blocked by my PeerGaurdain 2.
c) Spyware/IE highjack attack, where it tried and failed to open two instances of my IE6.0 browser (presumably stopped by my other protective apps).

When I became aware of this attack I deleted this film clip file (sorry, I did not think to catch it’s name).

As you can see, this was a particularly nasty attack that anybody without protection would have been clobbered by.

As for scanning files, you cannot scan them unless they are either partially downloaded, and so will be in your “Incomplete” folder, or fully downloaded and in your “Saved/Shared” folder.

And, as advised by WW, do not use or try to open a file until after you have scanned it.

UK Bob

PS. Sorry, I do not use Bullguard products, I suggest you contact their website.