View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2007
Gnutella Admirer

ZombieGak is flying high
Default What Does "NEEDS MORE SOURCES" Really Mean?

I'd been hunting for one particular file for months and I finally found it Wednesday night. But I was not able to download it. I got the "Need More Sources" notice. I've always taken that to mean the host disconnected from the net and perhaps there was some index cache held at an ultrapeer. So I gave up.

Last night I found the file again... got up to 17%, then the download rate fell to zero, got the Busy Host notice, then Need More Sources. Since I was browsing the host, I tried downloading another file... a single source file. It started. WTF! The host obviously was still connected to the internet. I canceled both and started my target file again. It picked up at the 17% then stopped ay 31%. I did battle like this for about 90 minutes. It was like battling a prized game fish... but I finally got the entire file. Which raises the bigger question... what does Need More Sources REALLY mean if it doesn't mean a host is disconnected from the net? Where there is a poor connection there has to be some time based formula for LW to display these messages... first drop the time left number, then drop the download rate from 0K to Busy host... then to Needs More Sources.