Thread: LW 1.6b
View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2002
Devotee

scud is flying high
Default Re: Why is it 'bad' for the network

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Why is 1.6 bad for the network? I bought 2.1.3 Pro and installed it on my computer, while leaving 1.6b in place. I didn't want to go back and re-install it if I didn't like the new version. Two questions I haven't seen explained ANYWHERE else so far are, 1) Why are all connections now outgoing only?
With the new network topology, client (leaves) only make outgoing connections to Ultrapeers. Ultrapeers are hosts with a sufficient amount of uptime and bandwidth. These act as some what of a proxy for clients (leaves). Meaning it decreases network traffic (queries, ping, and pongs) for the leaf by handling all the traffic that otherwise a host would normally consume.

Quote:

Is this the way the ultrapeer system works? Under the old system if you didn't have any incoming, you wern't able to share. Which leads me to my second and more important question.
[
Yes. Even with the old protocol if you did not have an incoming connection you could still share, because you were still receiving queries from the hosts you have an outgoing connection to.

Quote:

2) Why doesn't the newer 2.1.3 appear to be uploading / sharing as many files? When I'm on with 1.6, I have uploads within a few minutes, with 2.1.3, it will sit for up to 1/2 hour before uploading 1 file? Local searches are drastically different as well with about a 50 to 1 ratio between old version and new. I noticed one other user making this similar observation as well. She said her files were popular, and not being shared. I think the searches are better on the new version, but I think it's as much fun to share, and am wondering what gives??
You must remember LimeWire is the only gnutella client that has implemented the Ultrapeer protocol. In which I would say not all LimeWire users have switched to the new version, meaning they're are a fewer 0.6 (the new ultrapeer protocol) hosts compared to the 0.4 (older protocol) hosts. But that will soon change here in a few months when other clients start to implemenet the new protocol.

Last edited by scud; February 19th, 2002 at 04:08 PM.