View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2007
Gnutella Admirer

GooRoo is flying high
Unhappy

I use the Tools/Options/Uploads/Slots to gracefully close down LimeWire, changing the number of "Uploads per person" to 0, and saving the change. Then, when the current uploads drain out, I change the value back to 5 and close out LimeWire. That way, noone acquiring files from me is ever "left hanging" ... by me! When circumstances arise beyond my control, such as power outages that take my computer down, I bring LimeWire back up as soon as possible, so that accesses that were interrupted by my sudden departure may be picked up and completed. There are times when I must leave quickly, and cannot leave my system up. Once again, when it is possible or me to do so, I bring LimeWire back up in hopes that the transfers that were summarily cut off may be resumed and completed.

So it irks me when my own acquisitions are cut off ... particularly when over half way complete (I have had close to 200KBps in transfers going on (both ways) at times, and acquired a single file from multiple sources at over 140KBps) and could have it completed in less than 2 minutes! Currently, I have been waiting for a source to re-appear for a small file (2,432KB) that is 81% complete ... for almost 30 days!!! Obviously, that file is a very obscure (and rare!) song by an obscure (but talented) group ... and I have found only two sources for the song. (I gave up on the other source after 3 weeks 'stuck' at about 20%.)

My point is that users should be more considerate of those accessing their shared files. If you don't want to share, why use LimeWire at all?!?