Thread: Java J2RE 1.4.0
View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2002
Unregistered

Talking Workaround

I may have found a workaround for this on Windows machines. It involves changing the registry, so this isn't for the faint of heart. I do not make any guarantees about this. I must also note that changing the registry can have very serious side effects if something is done incorrectly. If something does go wrong and your computer becomes unstable, I can't help you.

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, so the key may be different for Win9x and WinXP.

In the registry editor, find the following key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment

In it, there are two sub-keys: 1.4 and 1.4.0. All I did was create a third subkey called 1.3.1 with the exact same String Values found in the 1.4 (and 1.4.0) key.

I found that I had to logout of the system and then log back in before the new key took effect. Once I did this, I launched the LimeWire installer, and everything appears to be working without a hitch.

As I mentioned in the previous post, there are incompatibilities between different JDK's (and JRE's). So, this may have some weird issues that I haven't encountered yet.

Also, I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE THAT THE LIMEWIRE DEVELOPERS WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS CONFIGURATION. DON'T GO RUNNING TO THEM IF THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU. THEY MAY HUNT ME DOWN AND SMACK ME.