View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2007
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Hi dinky --thanks for the test.

OK--we now know it's a problem with java and your machine, and since you already reinstalled java, I'm stumped for easy answers . . . but next is to try and see if it's a software problem.

Well, if your AppleCare is still active, I'd try them out for help. Since the crash now happens with no third-party non- Apple ingredients, you won't have to put up with the "Oh--it's a LimeWire problem" runaround.

The other check I can think of is to see if the problem is in your Home settings. If you create a new admin user account (System Preferences > Accounts) this will create a brand new user, with all new preferences. Log into the new user account and try running the hotkey check from there. If it crashes there too, you'll know the next place to check is in the overall system, not just in your usual Home user settings. You should also be able to run the Console (it's in the Utilities folder too) at the same time to see if any error messages help narrow down the problem.

other checks: Repair Permissions (ugh--usually considered voodoo, but who knows?)

-trying while in Safe Boot with all peripherals unplugged (in case of 3rd party peripheral driver conflicts)