View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2007
Enthusiast

johnyboy is flying high

(i think i've found the problem, see end of this post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only A Hobo
soliloquy
i had to look that one up in the dictionary
Quote:
Shaping bandwith is what some internet service providers (isp) do to users of certain programmes, and these incude p2p applications. It effectively trottles the speed at which you can run these applications.
i thought so but just wanted to check.
Quote:
Please tell us who your isp is.
tiscali uk -- they definitely do traffic shape although they've told me in writing they don't. i'd like to get some hard evidence and make a claim in a small claims court about it. they've basically advertised one product and given me another. but there are times when they don't traffic shape...

Quote:
It would be useful if you could check out http://www.magnetmix.com and try downloading a file from there and see what speed it downloads at.
Also downloading from the "what's new" search tends to work pretty well for a good number of results.
that's good to know and i might try that but haven't yet

Quote:
Also do you have a great number of files trying to download on start up? This is not a good idea?
not that many, maybe about 30 most of which are needing more sources.

Quote:
What port number are you using?
my current "listen on port" setting in lw is 24497

Quote:
Re your changing isp. Has your new isp provided with a new modem, or do you use a router of any sort? Some details of these would be helpful.
my isp supplied a usb modem but i wanted to use an airport base station which only has ethernet WAN input, so i bought a d-link DSL-300T ADSL modem. so the network is:
internet > ethernet modem > airport extreme (the white round b and g one) > laptop via the air

Quote:
We'll try not to let you talk to yourself any more. You were very patient. It's appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondering why
This could be where your problem lays....It's not wise to run two p2p apps at the same time...Turn off Bit torrent and see if you still get the same thing happening...
i just did this as a test -- i wasn't doing this all the time. the problem happened without bit torrent running.

this is what i think (slightly tentatively) it is/was: whatever it is that lw does with files especially when starting up (probably checksumming) stops lw dl'ing for me at the moment i think. some of the partially dl'd files were very large 1GB+. while lw was doing what it does with files it stops dl'ing. i've now turned off partial sharing (which i think has helped although i'm not sure). the reason i'm reasonably confident of this diagnosis is because one of these large files which i was dl'ing finished, so lw started varifying it it. while it was verifying it other dl's stopped in the similar way as before.

i'll report any further info if i get any

thanks