View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2007
Gnutella Admirer

caseybob is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default My ISP's Reply To Query About Bandwidth Throttling!

Dear LW users: First, my thanks to 6 Pac for great help in running down throttle problems with ISP's. You can see from my earlier posts that despite new service package that is 8X faster (now, 128KBYTES p/sec UPload) than old slow package, my LWire uploads are STILL stuck at tiny 3KB's p/sec. Although admitting they use throttling with P2P like most popular ISP's, the supervisor said they are not THAT harsh, and politely suggested there is something wrong with my computer. He helpfully changed interior address on my cable modem (no result), and suggested running 'Network' in Safe Mode, benchmarking LWire on somebody elses laptop who has same ISP provider (his), then hooking up same laptop to my connection and see what happens. It could well be the answer, and I must admit 'Eastlink's' tech support is excellent 24/7. Another Canadian ISP 'Rogers', huge in Ontario, is listed as being very severe with P2P throttling. Will try the Supervisors tests soon as get moment to find out if this bit above average user does have problems with computer, not ISP. But, fact remains that ISP's are using better & better programs to increase severity of P2P throttling. Like to hear from anybody with thoughts on this subject.
Regards, caseybob