View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2007
Phex Developer

GregorK is flying high

Well I can understand your displeasure.
I personally think the move to Java 5 was something we haven't done too quickly. Java 5 is released since 2004 and we already liked to switch in 2005, to be able to use some of the really useful new features. But we waited 2 additional years and I think during that time we had about less then 2% of Phex users which still used Java 1.4, everybody else was already on a higher VM even if not required. I think we even had more users with Java 6 then Java 1.4.
A additional reason was that for our very small development team it is important to prevent spending too much time working around missing 1.4 features and focus more on developing new Phex features and bug fixes. Also it is impossible for such a small team to maintain two development lines for 1.4 and 5 without additional developers (you like to join in?).

Even today Java 6 (released 7 months ago) would offer us a great amount of improvement we would love to integrate. We already have around 40% Java 6 users. But I guess we have to wait additional 2 years... and users would need to wait too.

I know Phex 2.8 is very buggy and I apologize for it, but currently there are just no resources to go back and fix these things... but if anyone with Java knowledge likes to help out, you are very welcome and of course you get all our help to find and fix these problem areas.

Gregor