Thread: Boolean search
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2007
Gnutella Admirer

GooRoo is flying high
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing well View Post
Hi people - in regards to previous advise re: being more specific (in search terms) and searching for exact song (to yield more exact results).
I get specific, and I get an error box stating "SEARCH TOO SPECIFIC!"

So, what exactly IS too specific? And why is this particular issue so random? For example, I know the exact song I want, the exact artist who sings it, etc etc....error message "too specific" appears. I search again, trying to search for diff song from same artist, same album. No error message. I'm so confused!
There is (apparently) a rather small limit on the total number of characters you may enter in a search request. For example, it is impossible to request "Jeremiah Peabody's fast-acting, pleasant-tasting green and purple pills" as a song title, and "Ray Stevens" as the artist's name ... by a long shot!

Leave out the 'little' words, such as "a'", "the" and duplicated words ("Dee Sharp" is just as good as "Dee Dee Sharp"), and only retain the words that are relatively unique to whatever it is you are searching for, so my example above would be "peabody acting pleasant" for the title, and "stevens" for the artist. That would avoid 'hits' on "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" (the incorrect title for "Joy to the world") and every artist named "Ray" (Charles, Peterson, etc.).