View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2002
Novicius

peaceandplenty is flying high
Default download icon/ can't unstuff/ Finder confused?

I downloaded a file this morning (an application, about 3M), and all worked normally. I've used LW for some time, and generally find that it behaves itself nicely, thank you very much.

BTW the file name is "File•image". A little funny but that's what it says. The "•image" part of the file name is actually IN the file name but I deleted the text to the left.

I noticed that the downloaded file ( sitting in the limewire/shared folder) had a generic icon, and that Expanding via Magic Menu on the deesktop did not work. So, using FileBuddy, I scoped out the creater: Limewire, and a file type of "????". Of course, Finder reports the file to be a "Limewire Document".

I figure that somehow, LW did not properly assign the creator/type to the file. I tried various reasonable combinations of creator and type, working with a copy of the file, but could find none that would make Stuffit happy.

So, what to do, what to do. This is not a desktop database problem. How do I know this? because dragging the file (befoe I made any changes to creator) onto the stuffit icon had no effect.

I've had a fair amount of success with LW, and we're ready to buy it, and this problem won't deter us from buying it. And we'd sure like to understand the problem.

Any ideas?

— Michael Spencer

Mac 9.2.2
LW version: I am not sure: Finder reports the version for the installer. I DO know that I downloaded and installed this version in the past few weeks or so :-)