View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2002
Unregistered

Hi,

Just to remind, Opera and Cydoor TEAMED to make a XML based OPEN standard for OPT-IN based advertising.

No ever changing module names, "no run dll as service" tricks etc. Opera is CLEAN and sends only the data which user gave on his/her freewill. Be sure, if anything else happened, MS (and) Mozilla/TW Netscape would love to post the whole world. Little guy became real big player nowadays.

Even the ultra-paranoid Steve Gibson and Slashdot itself corrected theirselves calling Opera something else than Adware.

Figure that? I didn't say anything about Cydoor being. Oh, if I find it in my system, I would wipe it but you give users opt-in for that (with others except that topmoxie)... Its the key. Descriptive (even enough to bore users) windows stating what is going on, whats installed.

I mean, I tried to be helpful, you say Opera includes Cydoor. No it does not. At least its not on Spyware lists. It doesn't do anything secret, you give the exact info to it, like e.g. while you subscribe to Yahoo, even less!

Seems they didn't go chapter 11 so that scheme works I guess :-)

About Topmoxie not displaying popups (yes, you are right) what does it do than? How they make money? What do they collect?... Isn't my business anymore, I got rid of it, tried to alert users I know.

Have a nice day

Quote:
Originally posted by afisk
Thanks for everyone's comments. Just to make sure everyone is clear, TopMoxie does not make any ads appear anywhere on your computer. In fact, this is one of the reasons why we prefer it to programs like Gator, SaveNow, TopText, etc (the type of program that almost all other major file sharing applications install). All of these programs popup ads on your system at some. TopMoxie does not.

Thanks to all of the international contributors on this thread -- it's very hard to talk about technical issues in a second or third language. Just briefly covering some of the other points brought up, LimeWire actually uses Cydoor right now just as Opera does. What it really comes down to is that most free programs are implicated in bundling software somewhere down the line because we all need some form of revenue.

I guess I don't have much more to add beyond that basic point. There's always the option to buy LimeWire Pro!

Thanks.