Thread: oh LORD
View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2007
Devotee

d.d-thom is flying high
Default xzxzxzxzxzxz.exe

Apparently something (Virus? Trojan? Spy ware?) Is disabling my task manager, regedit and possibly more.

I have tried accessing task manager through ctr-alt-del, right click taskbar, run-taskmgr, and also running taskman.exe from the windows folder. From Run-taskmgr it says that another process is using it. Same with regedit, I get that it's used by another process. I'm positive it's not a group policy thing, as I'm the admin user on this machine. Also, in safe mode taskmgr and regedit DO work, so in safe mode the thing that is disabling them, is not running.

I think I may know where I got it. It created a hidden folder in my downloads folder, named \_\ (underscore), and in this folder was a file called xzxzxzxzxzxz.exe, that I tried to delete but after restart it was back. Now I uninstalled limewire and the file is gone. But the problem with taskmgr etc. being disabled is still there...

ETA: Aaaaaaand, it's back. Humph. I swear it wasn't there an hour ago. I NEED TO KILL THIS THING.

I've scanned with Norton Antivirus, Ad aware and Spybot S&D can't find anything.

Is there any way to remove it that does not include a full re-install?

xzxzxzxzxzxz.exe was created and modified on 16 March 2006 23:50:55