View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2007
Enthusiast

johnyboy is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post
If you have a look at Tiscali's fair usage policy, it states that Tiscali will manage bandwidth during peak hours (6-11 pm)
the contract i agreed to with tiscali (the 8mbs "unlimted" one) says that if you use the internet heavily during peak hours then action will be taken, but there is no such mention of restrictions until you're deamed a heavy user (whatever that actually means).

what you're suggesting is that their policy states that they block, regardless of amount of use, during peak hours. that's not what they say. also they say the opposite: tiscali have stated in writing a number of times to me that they do not block certain types of traffic. this is their explanation for me not being able to use p2p during a significant amount (many, many more hours than their designated peak hours):
Quote:
I understand from your email that you are unable to connect to peer to peer programs.

As you are aware that Peer-to-peer is a type of Internet network allowing a group of computer users with the same networking program to connect with each other for the purposes of directly accessing files from one another's hard drives; so if more users are logged in to the network, the speed at your end will automatically be slow or even you are not able to connect at all, even if the Internet connection is fast. Hence, we always advise our customers not to use any peer to peer programs.
is there any chance they don't actually block p2p and that the reason i'm unable to use p2p software is down to heavy amounts of internet traffic? at the same time i'm unable to use p2p web pages work fine for example.

is there any proof that can be obtained to display blocking of certain ports? if so i would really like to hear about it.

when people say tiscali block p2p use, what proof is there? bearing in mind they're putting it down to just lots of people using the net what concrete information can be pointed to that says that tiscali are blocking certain types of traffic?

the "we always advise our customers not to use any peer to peer programs" part, they've said that to me on the phone as well. seeing as that "recommendation" is not part of their agreement (i.e. we don't receive that recommendation until after having signed the year contract) it's moot imo. they'd need to include that in their promotional and sign up literature for it to have any meaning, which they don't, so it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjapa108 View Post
Tiscali [....] ( blocks P2P 6pm to 11pm) that is proved, I beileve
Its really, 9am to 11pm. cant prove that yet.
how/what proof?

Last edited by johnyboy; June 17th, 2007 at 09:06 AM.