View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2007
Enthusiast

johnyboy is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjapa108 View Post
johnyboy Hi.

You want Proof OK!!
Get a laptop, borrow one if you have to, Then setup Limewire on a friends connection that dose not use Tiscali or any of the small companies now owned
by them, try, NTL/Virgin, Bulldog or another.

Make sure its working correctly, then take the laptop to your tiscali connection.
Now you report back on the evidence!! truthfully my friend.

I was with Tiscali for years & I am part of the proof, If your not just flapping your lips, (Don't work for Tiscali) & really want the truth, then ring them & ask them if they shape,filter,block,disrupt, P2P traffic in any shape or form.
Insist for solicitor purposes that you want there reply in writing.
Also tell them that to save misunderstanding, You are recording this conversation.
See if you get your evidence now.
sorry if ive offended you in my response,
i didn't know it was (pot|int)entially offensive until then!.. anyway, doesn't matter: you've misunderstood the intent behind me asking for proof. i'm not at all out to defend tiscali. i'm intending on taking some action against them and i really would like some hard, technical, specific, unequivolcal evidence/proof (what's the difference between those?) of some kind if possible, or a method to get that evidence/proof. (a) i just want to be absolutely sure (before throwing myself into this), and (b) i want to have something i can refer to -- something to use.

i know p2p software is unusable for more than 12 hours every day via tiscali (although it fluctuates a lot which is part of the problem -- it just so happened that today i got bittorrent downloads downloading at a semi/slightly reasonable speed up until about 3 or 4pm -- this is quite unusual though for me) and at the same time p2p is unusable web pages and email are useable. what i don't know for an asbolute fact is that they are blocking p2p use.

ok consider this (it's probably not right but how do i/we know for sure?) possibility: p2p/limewire connections are more flakey than common or garden web page connections and email connections etc. as the traffic via a particular, i don't know, exchange or whatever, starts to reach maximum capacity limewire/p2p software is the first to fall apart -- fail to work. now that isn't tiscali outrightly blocking p2p, it's their system becoming overloaded and it's lw being the first to show stress signs because of its nature. i'm not saying this is what is happening but i'd like some way to be sure it's not the case.

one problem is i don't know enough about networking etc. it seems rediculously complicated (firewalls, nat, ports, etc. bloody etc.). so many different parts/party's equipment which plays a part. in fact it's probably that hazyness of the whole thing (v. technical, and v. hard to pin down) that allows tiscali to get away with it. i'd like to have a go at stopping them getting away with it. no harm in trying is there?