View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2007
Devotee

Anonymous Coward is flying high
Default No, just the current blocking feature, but better

I was not suggesting that these lists of blocked hosts propagate across the network automatically. First off, that would probably be totally unnecessary overkill and secondly, that would be an open invitation for jerks to ban *.*.*.*, their roommate who didn't do the dishes, or similar pranks. No, I was just suggesting to make the current blocking feature a bit more user-friendly.
That said, I would appreciate it if I could use PeerGuardian's blocklist in LimeWire, but I gather the devs are working on it. Currently it is possible for search results originated by IP's blocked by PeerGuardian to show up in the lists (this is caused by the way the network works). Although PeerGuardian will make it impossible to accidentally download such a file, it still pollutes the search results. But again, I hear the devs are on it.
Perhaps the devs could work together with PeerGuardian to make reporting IP's easy? Just an idea, don't know if it would be useful, or how much work or administration it would take to make sure that the IP's reported indeed need to be blocked. Suppose the MAFIAA would set up a cluster of computers that would in concord block a random user? How would you check for that situation? How is PeerGuardian's blocklist assembled?
But, again, my suggestion was just to improve the UI for a feature that on the technical side probably is already almost fully implemented.
P.S. 6_pac, thanks for suggesting that other thread; I have read many threads just like it on this and other forums. But I feel that this problem needs to be really solved.