View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2007
Apprentice

DB1 is flying high
Default How do I disable Limewire pop-up ads?

I downloaded Limewire from the official site and now I have pop-ups. I have a pop-up blocker and haven't had any pop-ups for years. But the second I download Limewire, I am suddenly buried in pop-ups.

I put my blocker to high and it has reduced the amount, but they are still getting through. Just now I have already had 5-6 ads pop-up.

They are coming from Limewire, or are directly associated with Limewire. I was downloading the Limewire accelerator and on one of the pages it refers to using CiD as one of the options. CiD are the letters on the top left corner of every pop-up ad.

I removed Limewire from my computer and downloaded spybot and then cleaned my computer and re-downloaded Limewire. I still have those pop-ups. They obviously got past my blocker by piggy-backing on Limewire.

I see on Limewire's main page "NO ADWARE"! As this is getting into my computer through Limewire I was wanting to know how I can disable this function. I have an antivirus and firewall in place and my pop-up blocker has been blocking everything for years while set on medium. So the only way this could have gotten in is with Limewire.

I contacted Limewire through general comments as I can't find a tech support link. My spybot found CiD:IEpops in my computer and removed it. Also Zedo, which is part of CiD and removed that. But they are still getting through.

Is my only option to remove Limewire from my computer? Or is there a specific file in Limewire I can delete? This question is directed at Limewire, can the moderator direct me to someone that can answer this question please?