View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2007
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

what are your exact plans for this machine, and what would your budget be?

I'm not at all impressed by the PSU with that case...that is always a weak point in many builds....doling out the funds for a quality PSU is always worth the money!...

lets skip the queries on my part and I'll simply state that I think ASUS boards are top of the line, though I feel that intel is a great way to go because of various other reasons....

note of course the barebones kit listed does not have a cpu cooler nor has a video or sound card included (though the board is sound enabled, but I try to avoid such things)

Maxtor drives are currently not in the greatest of regard...I've beaten the he!l out of my WD drives and they are all still working (this goes back 6 years...I've still got my original 80GB WD drive)

also the included 1GB of ram is lamer as it doesn't even enable the use of the dual channel memory function of that board (i.e. 2GB should have been offered to really take advantage of modern day use of dual channel)...I notice one review said he added in 2GB more of ram..pffffttt...that also restricts the dual channel function as full pairs of sticks of matching properties need be used to really sing....

in essence, the deal seems fair, but if you are really looking for a custom machine you would probably be better off creating your own from a separate list of parts...

the case also lacks in the ability to cram it chock full of fans if one desires....I find Antec cases to be quite nice for the price....also, their PSUs are highly reliable and fairly rated as far as their Wattage capabilities...

So Long and Thanks for All the Files

Beware of the big 3 insurance companies in Texas! Read your policies carefully (maybe you'll need a lawyer) Allstate, Farmers & State Farm are overextended and their 'coverage' is worthless...a true waste of your money Read This