View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2002
Gnutella Admirer

Sephiroth is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen

Morpheus is also open source!

Morgwen
Its worth mentioning that just because its open source doesnt mean its 100% free.. Limewire is a living example. Morpheous added in a few banner ads into gnucleus so they arent "free."

DM is right to create the very best you need money and resources even linux companies like Red Hat and Mandrake make $$$ alot of the money they make goes into development of linux. Some Linux projects survive on donations and etc to make money. Somehow i find it hard to believe that many here pushing for open source gnutella network would donate any money to aid in it.

As for the open source network.. Great if some people like you morgwen, moak, your groupies and others think that a 100% open source/open network is the key then by all means create a network thats just open source and open network instead of trying to force radical changes on gnutella like that every program must be open source the whole commerical programs are bad, "dont partcipate with bearshare or limewire" and etc..

Do i personally think it will work.. No based on what happen on gnutella in the past. You see before bearshare and limewire were gnutella programs gnutella was really ran on really entirely on open source and small closed source programs.. The network was losing users, there was no organization amoung the developers at all and the network almost died. I still remember the news stories predicting the death of gnutella in a couple of months..

I didnt work back then and i dont think it will work now.. But thats me..

However if strict standards are forced then really its no different than fasttrack with all programs doing the same thing but have different names.. Also i hope that it starts its own development and not just be an exact copy of gnutella..