View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2002
White Magician

guido is flying high
Post New gnutella client for programmers

Hi

I'm currently writing my own, GPL'd, Gnutella client, for which I am still looking for co-developers.
The big difference to other Gnutella clients will be - as stated in the subject line -, that this client's main audience are other programmers, not end-users. I'm trying to form a base for other programmers to "hack upon", to try out new techniques and test new protocol extensions.

The source code is supposed to be easy to read, understand and extend, with a huge amount of comments in it. Ideally, a good C++ programmer should not need more than an hour to figure out the basic working principles of the code and where to stuff in his/her changes.

Some words about the client itself:
It is written in C++, the main platform is Linux, but I'm trying to keep it portable. It will be a demon, that means, there will be no direct user interface and it will be controlled via a network connection using a protocol which has yet to be defined and implemented.

The initial functionality of the client will be very basic - with the exception that I'm trying to support fully automated, segmented downloads right from the beginning -, but after the basic stuff is all more or less working, I'm going to implement as many new features and protocol extensions as possible. (That's the _purpose_ of that client...)

By now, everything is still very far from completion; many of the classes are still empty and many of the methods unimplemented. When you're reading through the code, please give me some feedback about whether you think it is a good approach to achieve the stated goals (easy to understand, easy to extend) and whether you've found any obvious errors. (I'm not a very experienced programmer, so there might very likely be some.)

Contact me if you're interested. If there's enough interest, I will open a sourceforge project.

Guido