View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2007
Apprentice

sr1darkstar is flying high

If I may put my 2 cents in... I have used AOL for many years and yes I have had many problems with them from time to time.

The current connection problems described here can be traced to the latest ACS update which everyone probably allowed to be installed simply because there was no option to NOT install it. I did it and should have known better lol

The AOL dialler allows access to your DSL connection without starting your AOL software and is a major pain when not working as happened to me.

After much complaining to the techies without any useful help ( I am certain that they are aware that their update is causing absolute mayhem with their customers)

I had to come up with my own non-techie way to deal with it.

1. Uninstall everything including coach and ACS (sorry about this but do not keep your settings etc) no need to do anything to your modem / router

2. Install Aol 9 and connect in usual way and allow to update (think its 5 or 6 times before all updates done)

3 DO NOT ALLOW aol to update the Dialler, as there is no option to cancel installation you will have to press ctrl+alt+del and select processes tab and stop AOLacsd.exe
I know that sounds crazy but bear with me

4. Reboot and this time open the dialler setup screen save login and PW and set to run on startup,

I know it works because i am using it right now..... and so-far even when exiting aol it doesn't try and install the update again.

I really hope this helps with your connection probs guys!!!