View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2007
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default "Followed and Punished"

Rainbow_Girl

You said:
Quote:
People who put something like this online should be followed and punished.
Just suppose you "follow and punish" the wrong person, how would you go about trying to make amends for the wrong you have done?

I have said this before in this forum and I will say it again, arrests, trials and punishment should only be done by the proper authorities, not by mobs or vigilantes.

Mobs and vigilantes cannot administer justice or put right mistakes that they invariably make. For example, here is an extract from a BBC Radio programme broadcast last year called "Any Questions" where a number of current topics are discussed:
Quote:
a couple of years ago the home of a paediatrician was attacked because the people attacking couldn't understand the distinction between a paediatrician and a paedophile. And this poor man was subjected to serious damage to his property, abuse to himself, possible threat to his physical safety because a mob - a small mob - but a mob thought they had a paedophile in their midst because somebody said well that guy's a paediatrician, he's a risk to children in the community.
How would you apologise to this man if you were part of this mob and would you contribute to replace the property of his that was destroyed?

BBC - Radio 4 - Transcripts

As I have said before:
Quote:
Vigilantes belong on TV and in films, not out on the streets.

UK Bob