Thread: Speed
View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2007
Novicius

David in ABQ is flying high
Default Thanks for your help

Hi UK Bob,

ABQ is one abbreviation for Albuquerque, in New Mexico.

No, I don't think that that's it. I change what files to download and it doesn't change much. AAMOF, if I have 5 files coming in, pausing 4 of them does not speed up the speed of the remaining one; culd THAT be due to your reason, when we're talking about 2-3 KB/s over a T1?

Sometimes when I'm home, it's super fast, like 100 to 350KB/s, then other times the same set of files slows down to 0-5KB/s.

???

David

++++++++++++++++++++
Hi David

Before I go on to answer your question, and as I live in the UK, what does ABQ stand for?

I can guess but, in all honesty, I don't really know.

OK, that said, speed is a problem for most people because, on the gnutella network, you cannot download faster than the person you are downloading from can upload.

Now, you do know that when you download something (anything) you are actually downloading from other computer P2P users from around the world. The downside of this is you are at the mercy of the other users ability to upload. For example, if you are downloading from someone (or a group of people) that have dial-up, poor infrastructure, congested network or any combination thereof then no matter how fast your cable or DSL connection is you will get a slow download.

You will note that in my example I have used some of the worse case scenarios but in most cases everyone downloads from someone or group with one or more of the above problems.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob