View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2002
Anonnn

Respectfully, I don't understand why you are trashing on this when it's only a day old. I spent the time to modify, test and re-compile Gnucleus to do this. I took the time to set up a web site with docs to give it distribution. I posted a patch to Swabby so he can mod Gnucleus.
I am busy figuring out a new way to do a host cache on my web site and will have to spend the time making Gnucleus connect to it.
I don't see how the "GnutellaDev Community" will stop the commercialization of Gnutella. We have to move off of it because the commercial interests won't.
Don't you consider me as a part of that Community? Is there a chance I can program in C++ ? Have a little respect please.
This is your chance to get rid of the greed on Gnutella, don't blow it.
If the "GnutellaDev Community" adds the ability in their clients to do this, the OpenSource P2P Net will give them a place to go and it has a rule to keep greed off.
Why not support this and the new GnutellaDev IRC channel at the same time? Where's your node?
Until the developers change and release new versions, this modified one will do.
Did you read the previous posts about this? It explains why this is needed in more detail.
I am happy the developers are off of the_gdf, now they need to move off of commercialized Gnutella.
Gnutella can be a protocol name, not a network. I don't see a need to throw out a perfectly good protocol at this point, and the existing code that works so well.
This is your chance to really do something about the greed that has slipped in.
It's easier than setting up and running a IRC client! And you can run both! Plus right now the bandwidth is nil so jump on board!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom81
Do you really believe through recompiling a client and setting this thread you can solve all of our problems?

and: do you think this IRC channel is the only thing we have at the moment?

No, there's already much more.
There's a new community waking up.
People like Moak, Morgwen, godxblue(peeranha), KathW, raphael, oovermars (gnucleus), tremix, etc, etc, etc are there and it will be much more in the future!

Then, there's a mailing list.

Also, godx started (and continued!) with an improved protocol.
And Moak's 0.7 proposal is in discussion

if you'd be on this IRC channel, you would know that, and you'd not be alone trying something

I don't want to further influence you. Do what you believe. If you think it's best splitting the network into gnutella and opensource, do that, in my opinion, the new GnutellaDev Community (name is 90% sure) will be more efficient than the old Vinnie-ruled GDF where the "improvements" are like monarchy (eat or die)...

i think you should at least have a try