View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2007
Novicius

siriusproperly is flying high

i am having a similar problem with 5.1.0b25. after looking around for a replacement for the tortoise known as emule, i found Shareaza, it's notably slower than emule. i then tried Shareazaplus, which is much faster, but i get a nag screen indicating it's a Alpha and not suitable for general use. and i also read a post somewhere that at some point in the past one of the developers had added some 'stuff' to it, and was removed from the development team. i now have bearshare 5.1 beta. i first ran it on a frozen snapshot, which i test all new (to me) software on first, and was pretty impressed with the speeds. i like the feature set of Shareaza better, but the mission was to increase dn/up speeds and Bearshare was certainly much faster. but it has not connected.

well it seem as i was typing this Bearshare is connected, but UDP is firewalled while TCP is not. i checked the rules in the firewall i use Online Armor, and UDP is granted the same autonomy as TCP. perhaps a restart of Bearshare will clear that up.

the only reservations i have so far with Bearshare is or was webstats.dat which Prevex2 nailed as malware. it also was nailed in my frozen snapshot by Prevx2, but i allowed it to run under 'Probation' instead of 'Jailing' and eventually cleaning it up. i googled webstats.dat and there seemed to be a general agreement that it is malware. so when i decided to run Bearshare on my system snapshot, i did all ow Prevx2 to 'Jail' it and then clean it from my system. Bearshare seems to be running fine without it, which is good because i trust Prevx and if it says Bearshare contains malware, then the bear would have to go if it could not function without that file. and lastly i would like to ask is there a user guide for the 5.1 beta as the newer guide seems not to relate at all to the older builds.

siriusproperly