View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2007
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by polotodd
i just got a new laptop, and have been loading all i need to load. and when i tried to use basic limewire it didnt work, so then i bought the pro version and still it doesnt work. in the bottom left corner it says "starting connection" with only 1 bar green. im thinking that this is an issue.
1. OS version? (eg: Windows 98)-VISTA
2. What firewalls you have?-1?, BUT LW IS ALLOWED
3. How much ram?-4GB
4. Hard Disk space available?-ENOUGH
5. Connection type? (eg: dialup, broadband, cable, etc.)-DSL
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers?-WESTELL VERSALINK 327W
7. Where are you trying to connect from (home, school, work, etc.)?-HOME
8. What version of LimeWire (LW) & Java do you have? (Go to LW's menu Help>About LW...) Will show both LW & Java version.-THE NEWEST OF BOTH
9. Who is your ISP provider (Internet Service Provider)?-BELLSOUTH
10. Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there?-IT WORKS
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up.- NOPE
12. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user.-I USED LW YEARS AGO, BUT I JUST BOUGHT PRO VERSION
13. Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface? -YES
Yes your problem is a connection problem. You need to be properly connected to the network to do searches.

Remember Vista has its own firewall. Some Vista systems come loaded with 3rd party firewalls so choose which one to use & disable the others. Make sure LW is allowed access.

For people who are upgrading to LW Pro, it's a good idea to delete your LW prefs folder whilst LW is closed; http://www.gnutellaforums.com/genera...der-vista.html

In my experience the Westell devices are best port forwarded. But at least log into your Westell device & ensure UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled. (a) If not, then enable it, save settings & reboot router if needed. Then try LW again. But (b) if yes UPnP is enabled, then it might not be working well and port forwarding is the way to go. Find Westell on far right column here PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall
* The very first step & most important is setting up at static ip when port forwarding. PortForward.com - Setting up a Static ip