View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2002
Disciple

FuManchu is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Niels
Well, i'm using Mac OS 9.2, without any kind of software firewall.

So the problem isn't firewalls & easily opened closed ports, the real problem i realize now, and didn't empazise enough in my first post is Private IP's (10.n.n.n , 172.16.n.n , 192.168.n.n). two computers with Private IP's can absolutely not communicate, what worse is P-ip disables certain kind of chat & games. because of my stupid private ip i can't run a hotline/carracho server despite i've opened up all required ports.
I think your address is simply being translated by a firewall, once you find out the gateway address, you should be in business.

However, your isp could also be blocking well known ports used for file sharing, check the fine print in your contract re: running servers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Niels
Still, as i mentioned earlier most broadband ISP's uses private IP's for their customers (adsl/cable tv-internet not counted as broadband)

This means that those with high bandwith cannot download from eachother, only from "slower" sources. And eventually the majority will have Private-ip's, probably at the same time as gnutella network becomes popular...

btw, is there any program/webbsite that can check which ports i have open??
I hope you are wrong about the private -ips setup, only because it is harder to deal with, but just remember, in order to connect to the internet you have to resolve to a real address somewhere in your setup.

go to http://grc.com and see if his webbased portscan app can scan you and tell you more info.